Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Sampler progress

Hi all!  Just jumping for a quick update before I head out to the dentist (eek!).  For about a month, I've devoted the majority of my stitching time to working on "Maria Selby Humphrey - 1831" from Blackbird Designs.  I saw the original on display at last year's Nashville (or was it St. Charles?) TNNA show.  Humphrey is a family name, so I had to have it!

I've been stitching it mainly with the called-for threads, but I ran out of Heirloom Gold and decided that there were enough variations in brown on the sampler that I could get away with using some limited edition overdyed threads instead of waiting to order more Heirloom Gold.  I think it's looking fine so far:


I hope to finish this in the next week or so, and then I'm going to start stitching a reproduction Spanish sampler that I have charted.  I haven't settled on the colors for that one yet, so I'm looking forward to a trip to Mom's soon for a color consultation.

I also wanted to share a few more photos from the Pocahontas Jacket.  Here's a sweet little cat motif:


And I HAD to share those crazy mosquitoes:


This is the last photo of the section that I was working on.  Everything you see, except the rightmost flower and the round worm in the right corner is my accomplishment for our trip.  I feel like it was a decent chunk of work!  We have been promised an email showing photos of the actual ceremony in early April.  I wish I could be there in person, and I can't wait to see what the finished piece looks like!


That's it for now.  I'm off to the dentist, and this evening I shall comfort myself with stitches in my Humphrey piece.  Next week, I will share some photos from our trip to Delaware and the symposium at Biggs Museum.  Til then, stay crafty my friends!

4 comments:

Merry Wind Farm said...

Hi, Robin,
I am a new follower of your blog. I love your sampler, I have that Blackbird book too but have never started on it. Never enough stitching time! Visit my blog if you have a chance. The Williamsburg pictures in the show are magical!
Melinda

Melissa said...

Maria Selby looks wonderful. It's funny, the photo in the BBD booklet just doesn't do it justice, does it? I will need to stitch it one day.

That jacket - blackwork looks gorgeous!

Margaret said...

The BBD piece is looking gorgeous! And the jacket pics -- wow wow wow!

Chris said...

Hey Robin!
I love your stitching on the jacket. It is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see pics of the completed piece.
The sampler is looking great, you will have it finished soon.
So when are you coming to GSO?